Manager, New Product Development (NPD)
Debut is the unconventional innovation lab spearheading the next generation of big business. Only Debut has a scalable, integrated, climate-positive creation model powered by biotechnology that puts human wellbeing at the center of everything we do—setting the new standard for profitable business and a new pace for an ever-changing world. Our hybrid biotechnology approaches unlock latent markets, providing access to sustainably produced, natural ingredients with health benefits that cannot be obtained through other methods. We are committed to traversing the entire process, from ingredient discovery to the scaling of these products, for consumer markets. If you are passionate, enjoy fast-paced innovation and collaborative teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut is on a mission to create higher performing cosmetic products that will transform the global cosmetic industry to a new era of clean clinically backed performance and efficacy, with biotech-powered sustainable formulations.
- The NPD Manager will manage building and maintaining an innovative and high-performance product pipeline for DEINDE (a Debut Brand), including but not limited to: product concepting, product positioning and USP, ingredient selection, and packaging development.
- This role will have concept-to-launch leadership, including consumer insight and white space opportunity development with Consumer Insights, formula development with R&D, and coordinating GTM messaging and launch strategy with Brand Marketing.
- Work collaboratively cross-functionally between R&D, Brand Innovation, Brand Marketing, Consumer Insights, Creative, Production and Supply Chain, and other teams as necessary.
- Define claim strategy for products, and work closely with Regulatory, Clinical Study Lead Scientist and Brand Marketing to design clinical study and protocols for strong ownable and supportable clinically-proven claims and content that drive adoption and lift.
- Act as consumer advocate, deeply understanding consumer problems to redefine and reimagine product solutions.
- Champions innovation and new technologies, whether ingredient, formula, or packaging, through maintaining a strong partner and supply network and developing business cases for innovative releases.
- Conduct market, trend and consumer research to decode consumer insights, identify trends and white spaces, and propose concepts and new product opportunities, including analyzing challenges and risks.
- Manage COGs, Gross Margin, and pricing for new product launches.
- Manage artwork process collaborating closely with Creative.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Business or Marketing
- Must have at least 5 years of new product development experience in beauty.
- Must have demonstrated concept-to-launch experience, for clinically-proven product(s).
- Preference will be given to candidates who have worked cross-category e.g., color, hair, skin; who have worked for prestige brands; and who are familiar designing for EWG, NEA, and/or Credo Clean requirements.
Essential Physical Characteristics
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
- Continuous upward and downward flexion of the neck.
- Frequent sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers, and copiers.
- Occasional walking, standing, bending, and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, and lifting and carrying of files weighing up to 15 pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment as needed.
- This position operates within an office setting and may be exposed to typical office environment conditions, including ambient noise levels and temperature variations.
Condition of Employment
As part of Debut’s pre-employment process, prospective candidates will undergo a background check prior to beginning employment. Additional types of background investigations may be conducted based on the job-related activities of the position.
Debut is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Salary Range: $90,000 - $120,000